It's a slow night here in the harriet household and it's been a while since I've jumped on a meme bandwagon, so here is one courtesy of lemming. I wasted a bunch of time trying to figure hers out (mostly unsuccessfully, I might add), so I thought I'd give her the chance to return the favor.
Here are the rules:
A. Pick 11 of your favorite movies.
B. Then pick one of your favorite quotes from each movie.
C. Post the quotes on your blog.
D. Have commenters guess what the movie is.
E. Either strike out the quote once it has been correctly identified or place the guesser's user name directly after the quote.
F. Extra points for knowing the actor or character's name.
To these rules I add: No googling! Unless you're really desperate. And also, please post your guesses in the comments section below.
I will not give you hints, but I will tell you that most of these are pretty well-known, but a couple of them much less so. I will also tell you that I have a pretty quirky taste in movies.
1. My wife's on a bender. I'm trying to sober her up.
2. I said I wanna see a Plaster of Paris bagel and cream cheese paperweight, now cough it up.
Saucy99 and Miss Leigh got this. It's After Hours. The line is spoken by Paul (I think that's the name of the main character) to Rosanna Arquette's character.
3. Do you steal the dresses of all singers?
elgan got this one. It's from Diva and is spoken by the diva hearself.
4. When you're slapped, you'll take it and like it.
Violet correctly identified this as a speech made by Sam Spade in The Maltese Falcon
5. Honey, I'm thinking of switching to the mock turtleneck.
Saucy99 got this one too. It's from Best in Show and is spoken by the husband of Parker Posey's character.
6. I'm off the grid, man!
7. Serpentine, (character name)! Serpentine!
Laura got this one and also correctly assessed it's from the original version of The In-Laws and that the attempt to remake it was seriously misguided. The line is spoken by Peter Falk's character.
8. People like blood sausage too. People are morons.
9. And two hard-boiled eggs. Make that three hard-boiled eggs.
annanotbob correctly guess that this is from a Marx Brothers film. But which one?
10. The first is never get involved in a land war in Asia
Mel got this one, which is spoken by Wallace Shawn's character in The Princess Bride
11. Is it my face that irritates them? Or just the stale smell of Eastern Europe?
[Second entry today; a real entry precedes this]
11 people said it like they meant it